Varicose Veins vs. Spider Veins: What’s the Difference?
Most men and women will experience spider veins and varicose veins at some point in their lifetime. While it is common to develop vein disease, there are differences between spider veins and varicose veins. At Vanishing Vein Northwest, our goal is also to help you understand the differences between spider veins and varicose veins and how we can help you treat vein disease.
What Are the Differences Between Varicose Veins and Spider Veins?
While varicose veins and spider veins are often lumped together as a more singular vein disease condition, there are marked differences between the two. Spider veins are less obvious.
Here are a few of the major differences.
- Spider veins usually appear as small, damaged veins in more localized in clusters, while varicose veins often appear all along your legs as twisted blue-purplish ropes protruding from the skin that worsen with prolonged standing.
- Research indicates that spider veins are likely linked to a defect in the vein wall that’s hereditary. Varicose veins are linked to venous incompetence and may not have a clear genetic component.
- Spider veins are evident in the small veins of the legs and elsewhere, while varicose veins are dilated large veins. In fact, varicose veins can also occur anywhere throughout the body!
- Spider veins are usually more of a visual annoyance than an actual issue of pain or discomfort although you may experience burning in the most severe cases. With varicose veins, you may experience worsening pain, discoloration, a heavy feeling, and swelling. In rare cases, the veins can progress to cause skin breakdown and bleeding.
While the appearance, severity, and painful side effects of spider veins and varicose veins may vary, we work to help you prevent, mitigate the effects of, and treat both varicose veins and spider veins.
What Treatments Does Vanishing Veins Northwest Offer?
Here’s a quick overview of the options we offer for vein treatment to treat varicose veins and spider veins:
- Foam Sclerotherapy: We inject foam into your leg vein with this treatment which effectively causes your vein to form a scar on the vessel walls. It’s a safe procedure with immediate relief.
- Endovenous Thermal Ablation: We shrink the vein with this treatment, which diverts your blood flow. The recovery is quick with no visible scarring and immediate relief.
- Micro Ambulatory Phlebectomy: We safely remove parts of the vein with this treatment. Then we apply a compression wrap. You should experience a quick recovery.
Our goal is to deliver the vein treatments that will bring you immediate relief for your varicose veins and spider veins. We’re committed to your comfort and your optimal wellness and health.
Next Step: Consult with Vanishing Vein Northwest
We will help you to understand how our treatment options will work to mitigate and improve your comfort levels.
We consult with you about all the options, and whether treatment is appropriate or needed. We discuss your medical history, your family’s history, and explore the affordable options that treat your varicose veins and spider veins.
Call us at 425-277-8346 (VEIN) to Schedule Your Appointment Today!