Summer-Ready Legs – What You Should Know
Stop for a minute and think about what “summer-ready legs” really means. You might envision smooth skin with no blemishes. You might think about all those lunges and squats that need to be done in order to tone your legs in time for summer. More than 40 million Americans experience some form of vein problems in their lifetime, so that’s likely why you’re concerned about your legs for summer. You just want those red spidery lines or purplish ropes to disappear.
If you’ve found your way to our site, at Vanishing Veins Northwest, you may be researching vein treatments that will deliver those summer-ready legs. Varicose veins and spider veins are “normal” in that they can happen regardless of your lifestyle, health, and regular activities. While you could have them at any time of the year, their appearance during the summer months can feel embarrassing and uncomfortable. The first step is to help you understand the causes of spider veins and varicose veins so we can discuss how to treat them.
Causes of Spider Veins and Varicose Veins
Your varicose veins and spider veins are caused by damage to your valves or weak veins. Your blood pools in your veins instead of circulating like it normally should. Your bulging purple or spidery reddish veins then become more easily visible. Here are risk factors that contribute to varicose veins and spider veins.
- Age: Getting older has the effect of weakening the valves in your legs, which means you’re more prone to spider veins and varicose veins.
- Hormones: Women can show signs of spider veins and varicose veins during pregnancy, but they tend to be more prone to weakened veins.
- Family History: You are more likely to develop varicose veins and spider veins if your family has them.
- Activities: Sitting or standing for long periods of time will put you at higher risk of weakened veins, which may lead to you developing spider veins and varicose veins.
Risk factors can lead to the development of varicose veins, spider veins, or even chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). You may notice that your veins look like cords or have a spidery appearance, but that doesn’t mean that there’s nothing you can do to get back to those summer-ready legs.
Ways to Prevent Spider Veins and Varicose Veins
In addition to the appearance of your legs, you may have noticed itching or aching. Try these quick and easy methods to prevent varicose veins and spider veins from appearing or getting worse.
- Elevate Your Legs: You may have noticed that elevating your legs make them feel better when you’ve been standing or sitting all day. It works because you’re supporting the normal blood flow to your legs.
- Use Compression: When you put on compression stockings or socks, it’s another way to promote healthy blood flow in your legs. The compression also helps with the itching or aching feeling.
- Exercise: Just start walking. It will not only get your legs more toned, but light exercise stimulates blood flow. It can help to prevent the appearance of spider veins and varicose veins or keep them from getting worse.
These quick tips will increase your blood circulation. It will likely still be an ongoing issue, but you can help to manage the symptoms and appearance of varicose veins and spider veins. Consult with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they worsen.
Next Step: Consult with Vanishing Vein Northwest
At Vanishing Vein Northwest, our goal is to help you to achieve those summer-ready legs you want and need. Our providers will collaborate with you to help you understand how your lifestyle choices can help you prevent spider veins and varicose veins. When you come in for your appointment, your medical history will be discussed, along with your family’s history, so together, our care team can help you explore the most appropriate and affordable treatment options that will give you the summer-ready legs you’ll love. Vanishing Veins accepts most major insurance plans and will bill for services through your insurance company. Our team will also work with your insurance company to get all necessary authorization for recommended procedures to ensure you get the professional, compassionate care you deserve.
Call us at 425-277-8346 (VEIN) to Schedule Your Appointment Today!