After Treatment Self Care for Varicose Veins
Some 40 million Americans have varicose veins or spider veins sometime in their lifetimes. With so many effective treatments now available, you can be confident that the discomfort and pain you may be feeling won’t last forever. If you’re here, at Vanishing Veins Northwest, you may be searching for vein treatments, and you want to know what after treatment self-care is required.
While you may already know what vein treatments are, here’s a quick overview. We want you to understand what it involves and how we can be of assistance with your treatment and long-term results. We’ll also review some self-care strategies we recommend.
What Do Vein Treatments Do?
Vein treatments are important for many of our patients. When you’ve been experiencing pain and discomfort, our treatments can help to improve your quality of life. We want to help you to return to your regular daily activities. In many cases, our board-certified radiologists perform minimally invasive treatments that effectively reduce and eliminate the signs of varicose veins and spider veins. Our treatments often help you avoid more serious complications in the future.
What You Can Do to Prepare for After Treatment Care?
Our vein treatments for varicose veins and spider veins are outpatient procedures at Vanishing Veins Northwest. But, as with any medical treatment, we do recommend that you prepare for how you will take care of yourself after the treatment. Here are a few of our recommendations.
- Daily Activity: Resume your regular daily activities including walking, but you may be uncomfortable where we treated your vein(s). You should avoid more strenuous activities like running, cycling, or weightlifting for a week to ten days unless we recommend otherwise. You’re still healing, so you should avoid the unnecessary strain or force of vigorous activity at first.
- Check on your medications. We review your over the counter and prescription meds before any treatment. We will make specific recommendations for your situation. We may recommend that you take Tylenol or Ibuprofen for pain relief.
- Drink water. We recommend that you’re hydrated. Full hydration helps you with a faster recovery.
- Eat a balanced diet. Make sure you maintain a healthy diet to help the healing process.
- Use compression socks. You may have worn compression socks before to support your vein health. You’ll need to wear the socks after your treatment.
- Keep your feet and legs elevated. As you heal, we recommend that you avoid long periods of standing. We also recommend putting your feet up to help decrease the discomfort and pressure after treatment.
- Use Aloe Vera gel. Aloe Vera is an effective way to soothe the affected area, but you should avoid using lotions, oils, or other moisturizers unless we direct you otherwise.
- Stop smoking. We will have discussed smoking cessation prior to your treatment as well. It’s a huge step toward better health, but it’s also important for your after-treatment self-care. Smoking cessation helps you avoid many of the complication and risks associated with vein treatments.
We take a personalized approach to your care and treatment. While we recommend that you get back to your walking, we want to caution against overexertion. We also recommend avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun during the healing process.
Next Step: Consult with Vanishing Vein Northwest
At Vanishing Vein Northwest, we’re here to help you achieve a healthier and more active lifestyle. Vein treatments can relieve your pain and discomfort while helping you get back to those activities you enjoy the most. We want to prepare you for what to expect after your treatment.
We also regularly consult with you to answer your questions and help you move forward with the treatment that’s best for you, at an affordable price. Call us to find out how we can help.
Call us at 425-277-8346 (VEIN) to Schedule Your Appointment Today!